WordPress is really interesting as a target platform, widgets, apps and self-hosted backend, – as it is an open platform and lots of people already runs it and knows how to host it themselves.
Just started diving into WordPress, as I plan to use this as auth and distribution platform, for the web/apps I am building.
This page contains various notes about WordPress, as I dive more into it.
- Theme development, block themes vs classic themes
- Plugin usage / vetting / examples
- Plugin development and publishing
- Embedding: shortcodes vs inline html
- Application passwords, ie./wp-admin/authorize-application.php?app_name=appname&success_url=https%3A%2F%2Fexample.com
- Open source
- Hosting: simple vs trellis vs outsourced/hosted
- Why WordPress from developer perspective
- Examples unofficial university website
Survey of plugins that I might use or dive more into.
- WP Githuber MD has decent markdown support and has open development.
JetPack. The most popular plugin with markdown support is JetPack, – but unfortunately this is bundled with other features, including external tracking which I do not want on my sites.
- FooGallery is the gallery I use here, as it is quite popular (regularly maintained, more eyes on security), and has (somewhat) open development.
NextGen Gallery. The most popular image gallery seems to be NextGen Gallery, – but it didn't work properly on my sites (error occured), so choose FooGallery instead.
- Disable Comments.
- The Events Calendar seems like the most popular plugin for events, – so I'll use this if needed later, and also for development-integration.
- Yoast SEO for better search engine visibility
version: '3.8' services: db: container_name: 'db' image: 'mariadb:latest' volumes: - './mariadb:/var/lib/mysql' ports: - 18766:3306 environment: MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD: super_secret_password MYSQL_DATABASE: wordpress MYSQL_USER: wordpress MYSQL_PASSWORD: secret_password wordpress: container_name: 'wp' depends_on: - db image: 'wordpress:latest' ports: - 80:80 environment: WORDPRESS_DB_HOST: 'db:3306' WORDPRESS_DB_USER: wordpress WORDPRESS_DB_PASSWORD: secret_password WORDPRESS_DB_NAME: wordpress volumes: - "./www:/var/www/html" - "./plugins:/var/www/html/wp-content/plugins"
Create new database:
CREATE USER user@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'secret_password'; CREATE DATABASE db; GRANT ALL ON db.* TO user@localhost; FLUSH PRIVILEGES;